Woodrow Wilson was inaugurated as President of the United States in 1913. However, over a decade earlier, Wilson was part of another inauguration ceremony. That time, his inauguration celebrated his ascendancy to the presidency of Princeton University.
The contents include;
- announcement for the Tournament on the Links at the Princeton Golf Club,
- the menu (in French) for the inauguration dinner,
- a ‘smoker’ at the headquarters,
- a march to the athletic field for a football game between Princeton and Columbia (with the names of the probable starting line-up listed),
- and of course, the order of events for the inauguration ceremony itself.
The images of the program’s pages provide a look into life at Princeton University in 1902. A visit to the WWPL archive will provide an opportunity to experience the artifacts firsthand, while affording time for in-depth reading and exploration of this and other documents.
Post written by library volunteer Tim French